MEM23187 - Downscombe Farm, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Exford Tithe Map and labelled "Downscoombe". It included three buildings, including a farmhouse with attached building to the south at SS 8417 3946, a larger L shaped building at SS 8419 3949 and a further outbuilding at SS 8420 3946. These all still appear to be extant. A further small building had been constructed to the south of the site at SS 8421 3943 by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published. The L shaped building had also been extended from its southern elevation. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was said to be constructed of stone rubble, long and with brick segemental window heads. It has the appearance of a 19th Century building but its disposition suggests a three room and cross passage plan. The farmyard is on the opposite side of the road and has a low wall facing the house. It contained a nice group of 18th and 19th Century buildings making an informal yard, partly enclosed by low walls, with roofs mostly of slate but one with asbestos sheets. The yard itself was part cobbled. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 150.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8419 3946 (71m by 80m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 150
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.