MEM23179 - Riscombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Exford. This includes the farmhouse at SS 8342 3951, with four associated buildings at SS 8341 3955, SS 8343 3953, SS 8340 3954 and SS 8342 3952. The latter had been demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed but the remainder still appear to be extant in much their original form. The farmhouse is shown with an Ordnance Survey bench mark on its eastern elevation. Various buildings have been added to the site, particularly to the east, since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. [1-4] The farmstead was surveyed in January 1997. It was said that all of the older farm buildings had been converted into accommodation for holiday makers.  Ruscombe or Riscombe Farm was burned down in 1792. The site included a "dwelling house, barns, stables, linhays, corn, hay, etc."  It is not clear whether the present buildings incorporate any of the original farmstead burnt down in 1792. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 144.
- <6> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 12.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 31 July 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8343 3953 (72m by 62m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 144
Record last edited
Jul 31 2019 3:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.