MEM23177 - Birchanger Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Porlock and labelled Birchanger. At this time, it was composed of three buildings, including the core of the present farmhouse, the building to the south at SS 8614 4674 and a further building situated approximately at SS 8614 4675. This latter structure had been demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, with a building extending from the farmhouse to the northeast constructed in its stead. [1-4] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997 and was thought to be an ancient site. The house was said to obviously be of a three room and through passage plan, possibly surviving in a fairly intact way with superficial 20th Century works such as render and concrete roof tiles. It was reputed to have at least one good fireplace. A rubble farmbuilding constructed in line with the house was thought to be 19th Century, with a tin roof, and another 19th Century barn was noted parallel and opposite to the house, forming a narrow yard.  A turf house was present at Birchanger, seen as a small detached stone building across the yard from the back-kitchen. 
- <1> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 140.
- <6> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 25.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8614 4676 (58m by 60m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 140
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.