MEM23176 - Holmbush (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Holmbush is shown and labelled on the Tithe Map for Porlock. At this time, it was composed of two parallel ranges, on the same alignment of the present buildings but further to the north, at SS 8717 4597 and SS 8718 4597. It is not clear which of the buildings were used for domestic purposes and which were outbuildings or farm buildings.  The site is labelled "Homebush" on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. By this time, the building at SS 8717 4597 had been demolished and the present farmhouse constructed directly to the south of it. The range sited at SS 8718 4597 was also apparently demolished by this time, although the southern portion of it (centred at SS 8718 4595) was still extant. This building was shown with an open elevation to the west and may have been a linhay or similar. The layout and name of the site is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the building opposite the farmhouse has been demolished.  The site was viewed from a distance in January 1997. The surveyor believed the farmhouse was ancient, basing this on the inclusion of lateral stacks in the building's fabric, and described it as "substantial". Farming activities were also apparently moved from this site nearer to Porlock Hill in the 20th Century. 
- <1> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 139.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8718 4594 (84m by 97m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 139
Record last edited
Dec 17 2014 11:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.