MEM23170 - Dean Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth. The farmhouse (MEM22352) is shown extending to the south to form a building nearly twice the length of the current property; however, it is not apparent whether the whole structure was in domestic use. Other buildings shown on the map include structures at SS 7051 4808, SS 7052 4805, SS 7052 4804, SS70524810 and two larger buildings at SS 7052 4808 and SS 7053 4806. The latter two buildings had been demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been published and the farmhouse had been reduced in size, seemingly to its present plan but the remaining buildings still appear to be extant in varying forms. The 1st Edition map also shows some further buildings to the south of the farmstead,at SS 7052 4803 and SS 7054 4802. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Since this date, further buildings (including houses such as "Rovadean" and larger scale agricultural buildings) have been built around the periphery of the settlement. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. It was described as "an interesting and ancient settlement" at a small scale and straggled down a lane. The farmhouse and cottage to its south (at SS 7052 4804) were noted to be built across the contours and attractive and unrestored. The accompanying photographs taken by the surveyor noted the cottage roofed in rusting metal and covered in scaffolding at this time. It was described as tiny and derelict, possibly forming part of another ancient farmhouse and perhaps dating to the 17th or 18th Century. The remaining farm buildings were noted to be constructed of stone rubble, with features such as rubble walls and slate-stone gateposts around the site. One particular barn with rubble segmental arches over its opening had recently been reroofed in slate.  Street view shows the cottage has now been roofed in slate. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 135.
- <6> SEM8076 Website: Google. 2014 -. Google Maps. Street View, 16 December 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7051 4806 (66m by 104m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 135
Record last edited
Dec 16 2014 1:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.