MEM23152 - Hallslake Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Brendon shows a single small building at c. SS 7461 4805, at the edge of a field here. The parcel is 317 and this is labelled as Allslake Meadow, used for pasture but with no mention of the building. It may therefore have been a field barn.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the possible field barn had been removed and a pond is shown just to its southwest. The main farmhouse and outbuildings are now shown in a C shape, facing to the northwest, and labelled Hallslake. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Since this date, several larger buildings have been constructed around the site but the pond has been removed. [2-4] The site was visited in January 1997. The house was described as 19th or 20th Century in date, with a large classic mid 19th Century barn at right angles to it. A scattering of other buildings was also mentioned, with two largish 20th Century (but not recent) buildings also featuring.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands mentions that the turf store at this farm was an outbuilding across the yard from the kitchen. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 116.
- <6> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 25.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7462 4803 (62m by 75m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 116
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.