MEM23135 - Fellingscott Farm, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Brendon Tithe Map and labelled Fullingcot. At this stage, the buildings comprised the farmhouse (MDE21385), two farm buildings at SS 7771 4751 and SS 7771 4752 and a small outbuilding at SS 7770 4754. By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been drawn, the farm building at SS 7771 4751 had been extended to the north and the small outbuilding had been demolished. A further building had also been constructed at SS 7772 4750. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Since this was published, additional larger farm buildings have been constructed to the site's southwest but all of the buildings shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps are still extant. The site was labelled Fullingscott at this time. [1-4] The site was visited in January 1997. The farmhouse faces onto a narrow cobbled yard, which has a barn taller than the house at its head. The house is approached down steps from the corner of the yard. The barn is built of rubble stone and probably dates to the 18th Century. Parallel with the house is a small possibly late 19th Century range of buildings, built of rubble with brick dressings. This probably replaces an early parallel range and may include parts of its fabric. The enclosures around the farm were thought to be ancient. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 97.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7770 4751 (74m by 89m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 97
Record last edited
Jun 9 2021 12:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.