MEM23114 - North Swincombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Challacombe Tithe Map and the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, on the latter two of which it is labelled North Swincombe. It is shown on these latter maps as a group of 7 buildings with an associated well. Since the 2nd Edition map was published, some of the smaller structures around the site have been demolished, as well as the middle of a large L shaped building to the south of the site, at SS 6906 4147. The farmstead has also been extended to the southwest. [1-4] The site was visited in December 1996. It was described as a working farm with a long shaped house, seemingly 19th Century but probably earlier. Some quite strict 19th Century rubble farm buildings were also noted to be scattered around the site. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Georectified map damaged in this area.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 70.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6905 4150 (98m by 66m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 70
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 3:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.