MDE21571 - North Swincombe Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A site visit in the 1990s at North Swincombe Mill noted that nothing remains of the mill nor its machinery. The only recogniseable feature of the leat was its end, built of stone and concrete. The wheel's location and its connection to the barn was noted. The wheel was installed in 1886, before which horses had walked around a mound to turn corn grinding machinery.  A leat is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, leading from the stream to a barn at SS 6904 4152 (recorded as MMO2123). It is possible this is the water supply for the leat and the barn was where the wheel was sited. [2-4]
- <1> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback. 85.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 20 November 2014.
|Grid reference||SS 690 415 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54323
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/185
Record last edited
May 22 2019 10:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.