MEM23106 - North Whitefield, Whitefield (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The High Bray Tithe Map shows a group of three buildings sited withing an area of small enclosures. Only one of these, North Whitefield Farmhouse (MDE21225) still appears to be extant. The other two were sited at approximately SS 7038 3601 and SS 7041 3599; these appear to still be standing when the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, forming part of a larger group of buildings that, together with the farmhouse, formed three sides of a farmyard. Of these later additions, only an L shaped building at SS 7041 3601, which has been extended to the south, and an outbuilding at SS 7040 3599, which has been much extended to the south, still stand. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. One much altered 19th Century farm building and another "a little further off" were noted at the site, although no real yard was said to remain. 
- <1> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42030 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 62.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7038 3602 (103m by 84m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 62
Record last edited
Sep 8 2020 9:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.