MEM23102 - Heale Farm, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Parracombe shows a group of four buildings and a very small structure in this location. One of these, a linear building fronting the main road at c. SS 6457 4692 appears to have been demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn, with the other buildings apparently the subject of alterations and extensions, with a large extension being made to the north of the building present at SS 6456 4694. Another new building was constructed by then at SS 6456 4691. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map and seems mostly still extant. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The farmhouse was thought to be old but was noted to have been recently altered. One of the old farm buildings was also noted to have been domestically converted and several small scale 20th Century works were said to have taken place. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 59.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6455 4693 (45m by 56m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 59
Record last edited
May 10 2022 8:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.