MEM23091 - Higher Dean Farm, Trentishoe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Trentishoe shows three buildings within four small enclosures along the southern side of the main road at Dean. The farmhouse is depicted in the northwestern area of the site, facing the road, with an outbuilding to its rear (shown as The Shippon on modern Ordnance Survey mapping). A small building is also shown adjacent to the road that frames the eastern extent of the site at c. SS 6296 4523 but this is no longer extant. [1,2] The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a further two buildings have been constructed on the site. The first is orientated north to south in the northwest corner at SS 6288 4527 and another very small structure has been constructed at c. SS 6292 4526. The small building at SS 6296 4523 had already been demolished. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Since this was surveyed, the first building has been reduced in size (or demolished and rebuilt) and extended to the west and other structures have been added to extend the site. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The house was said to be built across the contours of the site but was apparently extensively added to in the late 19th and 20th Century. A nearby barn [at SS 6292 4526?] was noted to be possibly early 19th Century in date with some 20th Century changes. The barn to the rear was thought to be late 17th Century but had been domestically converted.  N.B. The boundary (and GIS mapping) for Higher Dean has been based on its apparent current divisions and historic mapping. It is not clear whether all of the buildings and land incorporated were originally and / or now are in the same ownership as this property and whether it did or does extend beyond the indicated extent. 
- <1> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 48.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 14 November 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6292 4525 (98m by 53m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 48
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 10:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.