MEM23090 - Middle Dean Farm, Trentishoe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The buildings are shown on the Tithe Map for Trentishoe. It includes what is now the small house fronting the main road at the southeast of the site, with a building to its north / rear at c. SS 6295 4529 and a large building orientated east to west at c. SS 6293 4528, which was attached to a further thinner range at its northwestern corner. This latter range continued northwards.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the site in much the same layout as previous, with a pump noted to be behind the house.  By the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the larger building at SS 6293 4528 had been demolished, presumably as it was blocking access to the rest of the site. The building that ranged northwards from its northwestern corner, however, is still depicted and is shown to have an open elevation on its eastern side. The pump is no longer depicted but a well is now shown on the western edge of the site.  The buildings depicted on the 2nd Edition map still appear to be extant, although with some small alterations. The farmstead has been extended to the north with several larger agricultural buildings.  The site was visited in December 1996. The house was described as early with 19th Century changes and built across the contours of the site. The yard to its rear was noted to have small simple 19th Century buildings.  N.B. The boundary (and GIS mapping) for Middle Dean has been based on its apparent current divisions. It is possible that some (or all) of the buildings that form Lower Dean may have previously been in the same ownership as this property. 
- <1> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 46.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 13 November 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6293 4529 (46m by 64m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/3): 46
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 10:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.