MEM23086 - The Glebe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The Trentishoe Tithe Map depicts what appears to be a long barn at this location, which faces the road and is aligned north to south. It is depicted as completely of one build.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps of the site shows the building appears to have been altered, with part of the barn remaining to the north but the southern end altered or rebuilt to apparently form a house (although this may have been present previously but not depicted as a house on the tithe map). There is a small porch shown on its eastern elevation and a small extension on its rear (west) elevation; the southern end of the property also appears to be an extension. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the northern barn end has been extended westwards at a two storey level and the farmhouse has been extended in the same direction at a single storey. The end of the farmhouse to the south (apparently the old extension) also appears to have been rebuilt and elevated to two storeys. The porch to the front of the house is still extant. [4-6] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. It was described as a very interesting element of an ancient and interesting early upland settelement. The house was described as ancient with the surrounding farm buildings described as 19th Century. 
- <1> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8076 Website: Google. 2014 -. Google Maps. Street View, 13 November 2014.
- <6> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 43.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6423 4818 (12m by 28m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 44
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.