MEM23085 - South Dean Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Trentishoe Tithe Map and labelled South Dean. It consists of a farmhouse (MDE21317) with two small outbuildings to its south and southwest, two small buildings across the road facing the farmhouse on its eastern side, and a group of four building to the farmhouse's north, including an apparent long barn (MEM23086). The farmstead is surrounded by small enclosures.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of the site shows little change to the farmstead, although some of the smaller buildings have been demolished or extended and some new small outbuildings have been constructed. The long barn, if not before, now has a farmhouse occupying its southern extent (see MEM23086). The enclosures around the site appear mostly to be in their original form. This arrangement did not change before the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, a new large building, Heddon's View, has been constructed in an enclosure to the southeast of the site at SS 6426 4810. Many of the original buildings appear to be extant, although the farmstead appears to have been split in two, with the barn / house to the north called The Glebe (MEM23086) at its centre. Many of the enclosure boundaries have been removed but some are preserved in the present farm layout. [4,5] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The farm buildings facing the farmhouse were described as 19th Century rubble built structures, repaired with blockwork and added to within. The site itself was noted to have some small fields and was described as "obviously a little early upland settlement." 
- <1> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8076 Website: Google. 2014 -. Google Maps. Street View, 13 November 2014.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 43.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6419 4813 (169m by 156m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 43
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 44
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.