MEM23077 - Shallowford Farm, Lynton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map dating from 1840. The main house is labelled as "Wm Squire's House" and the area as "Shallow Ford". The farmhouse is associated with three other small buildings, at SS 7136 4496, SS 7136 4494 and SS 7135 4493.  The buildings appear to remain in a similar plan on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with a small building added within an enclosure at SS 7139 4493, but the building at SS 7136 4494 has been enlarged to the east by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed and a further small building constructed at SS 7135 4495. [2,3] After the 2nd Edition map was drawn, the buildings at SS 7136 4496 and SS 7135 4495 appear to have been joined together and enlarged further, and a new building has been constructed at SS 7138 4495. The building at SS 7136 4494 has also been enlarged again.  The site was visited in December 1996. Two of the farm buildings (presumably that at SS 7136 4494 and opposite, to the north at SS 7136 4496) were described as rubble built and probably 18th or 19th Century in date. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 36.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7136 4496 (65m by 84m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 36
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 9:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.