MEM23062 - Pinkery Farm, Exmoor (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown but not labelled on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. At this stage, it consisted of a long building at SS 7228 4113, orientated northeast to southwest, with a yard on its southeastern side framed by a further (small) structure on the yard's southeastern side at SS 7231 4112 and two small structures on the northeastern side. A fence or wall enclosed the southwestern side. It is not clear how much fabric from these buildings is incorporated into the now extant ones but it does appear that they occupy much the same positions as sections of the currently extant farmstead. [1-3] The farmstead was visited in December 1996, though it was only seen from a distance. The surveyor stated that the farmhouse was 19th Century with 20th Century outbuildings.  This is a Knight farmstead.  The history of this farm is detailled in a survey of the surrounding area, undertaken in 2013.  SS 723 411. Pinkery Centre, Pinkery, Simonsbath, Minehead, Somerset. Youth Hostel Association Enterprise bunkhouse opened 2007 at the Exmoor National Park Authority's residential Centre for Outdoor Education, initially for group use only at weekends and holidays. The facility received a refurbishment in c.2013 and was offered very briefly as a standard summer hostel for a month in 2015. Closed in c.March 2016 as the ENPA took control of the premises. The buildings are a former Victorian farmstead, established as the Pinkery Centre and later an Eco-Centre featuring a photovoltaic roof and wind turbine. Pinkery is owned by Exmoor National Park Authority and has provided accommodation for young people since 1969. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 8.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 23 October 2014.
- <6> SEM8192 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Metric survey in the environs of Pinkery Farm, Exmoor Forest. 5-6.
- <7> SEM8572 Unpublished document: Martin, J.. 2018. Youth Hostels Association (England and Wales): Historical listing of all youth hostels and other YHA accommodation. 370.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7229 4113 (46m by 41m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 8
Record last edited
Aug 16 2021 10:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.