MEM22930 - Newland Farm, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farm is shown on the Exford Tithe Map as South Newland Farm. The farmhouse is shown at c. SS 8268 3857 and forms the northern end of a yard of farm buildings.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps appears to show the farmstead has been reorganised but much as in the form shown on the modern MasterMap data. The farmhouse has been relocated to c. SS 8268 3854. It is not clear whether any fabric from the original farm buildings has been retained. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in February 1997. The house is described as blocky and symmetrical, placed for the aspect on its new site in about 1840. It looked unrestored and had hornless sashes. It almost backed onto a complex, divided long shaped yard of very good buildings. An earlier house (burnt) was sited just beyond the present group to the east of an existing and ancient barn (with which it may have run parallel), so the steading has moved westwards. Beside the road is a very long range with an interesting building (probably a granary) opposite on the south. The west end of the yard is walled off and has a fine range with wagon shed. All buildings are rubble, with slate and asbestos roofs. A collapsing smithy and a little field barn are situated to the east. To the north are an extensive group of 20th Century buildings, carefully sited. The farmstead is strongly evocative of 19th Century farming prosperity, are grouped well in the agricultural landscape and has exceptionally good quality and sequence. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 220.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8268 3854 (84m by 76m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 220
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.