MEM22887 - Blagdon Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A building appears to be shown on the Kings Brompton Tithe Map in this area with a simple rectangular plan. It is in the extreme corner of the parish boundary and labelled 64. The accompanying Apportionment describes the building as a "House" associated with Kingsbrompton Farm (MEM22301), owned by Robert Gardner Esq and occupied by Thomas Burstone.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the farmhouse (labelled Blagdon Farm) and a further small building to its east, within the corner of the plot of land. It is not clear which, if either, of these buildings is the one on the Tithe Map. A further small square outbuilding had also been added just to the west of the farmhouse by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. [2,3] The modern building plan shown on the current MasterMap is little changed from the 2nd Edition map. The outbuildings had, however, been demolished. There are modern farm buildings to the west.  The house was visited in 1997 as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads survey. It was described as possibly late 17th or 18th Century in date and simple in form, with end stacks . This may suggest that the farmhouse is the building shown on the Tithe Map. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 64.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 235.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 5 September 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9725 3414 (65m by 38m) (Historic mapping)|
|Historic Parish||KINGS BROMPTON|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 235
Record last edited
Apr 30 2018 11:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.