MEM22726 - Houses fronting Porlock Weir Road, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A group of houses with impressive 19th Century frontages featuring Arts and Crafts features and possibly incorporating some 18th Century buildings. Elevational detail is varied with timber sash and casement windows, some four centred stone arched openings with stone mullions, and elsewhere, moulded frames with decorative glazing patterns.  The central building within the row is not shown on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and partially sits on the footprint of a demolished structure to the rear. It is therefore not included in the mapping for this record. [3-4] This structure appears to be present on the 1841 Porlock Tithe map. 
- <1> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 44, 45.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8841 4676 (47m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.