MEM22569 - Old Shute Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The 1790 map appears to show both a complex of buildings (since abandoned) on Oldshute Lane itself, and a large house and garden, the nucleus of the present day farm, slightly to the north of this. [1-2] The Tithe Map for Dulverton shows Oldshute farmhouse to the south of the modern farm, with the farm buildings arranged around Oldshute Lane. A square building appears to be the modern farmhouse, without extensions, with a further building situated to its north. What appears to be a walled garden with a small building in the northeast corner is situated to the building's southwest.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the farmbuildings arranged in their modern configuration but the building shown on the Tithe Map to the north of the farmhouse appears to have been demolished and replaced. The small building in the walled garden plot does, however, appear to be still extant. The 19th Century farm buildings are mainly arranged around a courtyard to the northeast of the house, with a large L-shaped barn occupying the northeast and northwest sides of the yard. A horse engine house appears to have been attached to the north of this barn.[5,6]
- <1> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.12, 14.
- <2> SEM7586 Map: 1790. Plan of Manor of Dulverton.
- <3> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.23.
- <4> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9031 2826 (154m by 132m)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 4 2014 3:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.