MEM22449 - Medieval or post-medieval church house at Church Gate, Exford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
An old cottage stood at the church gate. It was pulled down in c.1881. It used to serve as the Parish poor house. It contained parts of the wall of a church that was taken down at the time of the Reformation.  The Exford Tithe Map shows a building in the same position as Church Cottage, shown on the modern (2013) MasterMap at SS 8574 3847. It has a slightly different floor plan. To the west is a small enclosed area shown in cultivation. The building is labelled 984 and the adjacent plot of land is labelled 985; the Tithe Apportionment describes these as "Poor House" and "Two Gardens to ditto" respectively, stating that they were in the ownership of The Master and Fellows of Saint Peters College Cambridge, with Relph Joseph as a lessee (The Glebe). [2,3] The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show Church Cottage (then called 'Church House') in its present plan form. It is not clear whether this is the same house shown on the Tithe Map of whether the original house was demolished to build Church Cottage. If the latter, it is possible the present building retains fabric from the former. [3-5] A church house, used for the village poor, stood near the entrance to the churchyard until it was pulled down in 1890.  In 1890 the parish Poor House was pulled down. The walls containing several worked stones, one of which appeared to be a piscina and one that Hamilton described as "the top stone of a priest's doorway". It was suggested that this material may have been sourced from the south wall of the church when the new aisle was constructed in the 16th Century. The stones were used to build a rockery in the Rectory garden (MEM24700). 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 46 (1900), page 27.
- <2> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 984, 985.
- <3> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 55.
- <7> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 19.
|Grid reference||SS 8574 3847 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974571 (Original Monarch entry: 974571)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6770
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE39
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974571
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33588
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 3:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.