MEM22338 - War Memorial, Lee Road, Lynton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At the upper level, flanked by the steps, is the granite war memorial in the form of an unfluted Doric column to a square abacus on echinus in egg-and-dart carrying a ball finial. This stands on a square rock-faced granite plinth, with polished panels bearing the names of those lost in both the 1914/1918 and 1939/1945 wars, and a stylobate of 3 square granite steps, with polished treads but rock-faced risers, enclosed in a low iron railing.  The memorial is a three stepped base surmounted by a square rough-hewn plinth, column, capitol and orb, all in red granite. There is a sword carved on the front face of the column. The inscriptions are carved in black lettering on tablets set into the sides of the plinth. An additional section for the World War Two names is in the shape of an open book placed at the base of the front face of the memorial. The whole is enclosed by low wrought iron railings. The inscription reads: 1914-1918 / Remember / those who / at the call of / our King / died the noblest death / Men may die fighting / for God, for right and / for liberty. Such death / is immortality / 1939 - 1945 / [names] There are 41 World War One casualties and 21 World War Two casualties listed.  The Town Hall boundary wall, railings and steps of 1900, and the War Memorial of 1920 forms a centred group adjoining the street with the Town Hall behind. The walling has square piers to flat domed square-capping at either end, and between the piers, a low railing with scrolled balustrade. The Memorial is a granite column with ball finial on a rock-faced granite plinth with polished panels, mounted on a stylobate, and enclosed by a low iron railing.  The memorial was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 9 June 1995.
- <2> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. Reference 25643 (see Resources rab).
- <3> SEM6953 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Lynton: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 17.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7188 4949 (4m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.25643 (UKNIWM record: 25643)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 858/1/4/24
Record last edited
Apr 12 2017 12:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.