MEM22244 - Post-medieval stables at Ashley Combe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An L shaped structure is shown on the Tithe Map for Porlock at SS 8581 4825. It is grouped with an adjoining land parcel labelled 1031, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as a "Stable and Garden", owned by The Right Honourable Earl of Lovelace.  The building is again shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with some small additions to the floorplan. It is unlabelled. A small square outbuilding is shown to the south at SS 8582 4822.  The layout of the property is similarly shown on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map. A further outbuilding is shown at SS 8583 4825.  The 2021 MasterMap data shows the building as a semidetached pair of domestic properties with an irregular floorplan. The northern structure is labelled Wentworth and the southern structure is labelled Milbanke.  A planning application dating to 1959 records the conversion of the "Coach House & Stable Block". The application aimed "to improve the existing cottage" (labelled as the southern section of the property) and to "alter the stables & garage to form another cottage" (northern part). The agent was William R Brown, a builder based in Porlock, acting on behalf of the Rt. Hon. Earl of Lytton OBE.  A Conservation Area Appraisal dating from 2004 states the property is a pair of estate cottages of the Worthy Estate dating from the early 20th Century. However, it is clear from the above cited evidence ([1-5]) that this is not the case. [6,7]
- <1> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39355 ]
- <5> SEM8684 Website: Exmoor National Park Authority. Exmoor National Park Authority website - Planning section. Application form and plan; Planning Application 39236.
- <6> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p6, 14.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 23 March 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8581 4825 (16m by 27m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 12:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.