MEM22238 - Seaview Cottage and The Old Reading Rooms at Porlock Weir (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Almost opposite Gibraltar Cottages is a low cottage row, probably of 18th Century origin with later modifications, rendered and a mix of thatch with tall brick stack, slate and decorative plain tile roofs.  The 2nd and 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey maps indicate a former Reading Room at this site. [2, 3] This structure appears to be present on the 1841 Porlock Tithe map. 
- <1> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8648 4783 (33m by 13m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.