MEM22200 - Demolished buildings on Parson's Street, Porlock (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The tithe map of 1841 shows a group of buildings on the east side of Parson's Street, arranged in two groups and running north from Victoria Church Cottage to eventually join High Street. Another small group is arranged just west of Victoria Church Cottage, on the other side of the road. Many are still extant on the 1st Ed. Ordnance Survey map of c.1880; however, they were demolished by the time the 2nd Ed. OS map had been drawn. They may have been demolished so that Parson's Street could be moved east. [1-3] The Tithe Map of c.1840… and the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map of c.1870 indicates that a number of earlier buildings were demolished in the later 19th century, for example, in what is now the churchyard, and along the north side of High Street. Overstream and Burley Cottage, both probably purpose built as boarding houses c.1900, and occupying a dominant position adjoining the parish church. They retain most original detail and help to close the space opened up when a terrace of cottages adjoining the churchyard was demolished in the latter half of the 19th century.  A photograph dating from c. 1885 and a painting by A Carruthers Gould shows the buildings set against the churchyard. In 1893 up to a dozen cottages which surrounded the churchyard were demolished in order to widen Parson Street. There was an archway into the church - and here the stocks were kept in the early nineteenth century. A Mr Chibbett, in the latter half of the nineteenth century, rented the room over the archway. One of the houses was a malthouse - of which there were six in Porlock in the early part of the 1800s. 
- <1> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. Ordnance Survey late 18th Century 1st Edition.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p9, 19-20.
- <5> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p17, 79-80, 92, 93.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8860 4665 (38m by 98m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.