MEM22189 - The Castle Hotel, High Street, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A lavish 1891 replacement of an earlier inn, with an early Arts & Crafts influence of ornate timber detail and original small-pane casement windows.  The old Castle Inn was sold in 1887 for £900, and rebuilt as the Castle Hotel in 1890.  The Castle Hotel was photographed in c.1900-1910. 
- <1> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p9, 10, 14, 19, 27.
- <2> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p79.
- <3> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 33, 34, 77.
- <4> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 123.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8854 4670 (31m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
Record last edited
Nov 14 2018 1:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.