MEM22144 - Abington Barn, Bossington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A field barn west of the Methodist Church is similarly overgrown and is clearly redundant. Its location, just outside the conservation area, makes it more vulnerable to possible demolition.  The barn is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, together with a small outbuilding at SS 8982 4775. [2,3] A further outbuilding had joined the group by the time the 3rd Edition map was surveyed.  A building of a similar size and orientation is depicted in this location within Plot 177 on the Porlock Tithe Map. Plot 177 is recorded as a 'Barn Court and Garden' within the accompanying Tithe Apportionment. 
- <1> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 10.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile. Plot 177.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 898 477 (26m by 14m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA138373 (National Trust HER entry: MNA138373)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Trust HER Record: MNA138373
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.