MEM15413 - Mining remains north of Wintershead Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
19th Century mining remains, possibly evidence of prospection and extraction, were identified to the north of Wintershead Farm in Exmoor parish.  A linear post-medieval prospecting pit is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the southern edge of Great Woolacombe in Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7737 3717, the trench runs roughly north-south, curving slightly to the east at the northern end, and measures some 65 metres in length. It was probably cut in the mid-19th Century in an attempt to establish the extent of the lodes of Blue Gate Iron mine (MSO6918). A mound on the eastern edge of the trench is most likely the remains of a spoil heap. A second trench is visible 100 metres to the west. [2,3] The trench is clearly visible on the RAF vertical photographs of c.1946. It is 60 metres long and turns to the east at the north end. 
- <1> SEM6912 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Earlier Iron-Working on Exmoor: Preliminary Survey. 30, Table 1.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 171-72 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 143.
- <4> SSO1921 Unassigned: Settrington, A. 1994. Site visit report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7738 3717 (41m by 65m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487403 (Original Monarch entry: 1487403)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2926
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10330
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE129
- National Park: Exmoor National park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1487403
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 18564
Record last edited
Sep 9 2013 3:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.