MEM15413 - Mining remains north of Wintershead Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
19th Century mining remains, possibly evidence of prospection and extraction, were identified to the north of Wintershead Farm in Exmoor parish.  A linear post-medieval prospecting pit is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the southern edge of Great Woolacombe in Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7737 3717, the trench runs roughly north-south, curving slightly to the east at the northern end, and measures some 65 metres in length. It was probably cut in the mid-19th Century in an attempt to establish the extent of the lodes of Blue Gate Iron mine (MSO6918). A mound on the eastern edge of the trench is most likely the remains of a spoil heap. A second trench is visible 100 metres to the west. [2-4] The trench is clearly visible on the RAF vertical photographs of c.1946. It is 60 metres long and turns to the east at the north end.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6912 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Earlier Iron-Working on Exmoor: Preliminary Survey. 30, Table 1.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 171-72 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 143.
- <4>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #31371 ]
- <5> SSO1921 Unassigned: Settrington, A. 1994. Site visit report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487403, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7738 3717 (41m by 65m) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487403 (Original Monarch entry: 1487403)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2926
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10330
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE129
- National Park: Exmoor National park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487403
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 18564
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 1:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.