MEM15412 - Mining remains north of Wintershead Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
19th Century mining remains, possibly evidence of prospection and extraction, were identified to the north of Wintershead Farm in Exmoor parish.  A linear trial pit running north-south is visible as an earthwork on the southern edge of Great Woolcombe. Centred at approximately SS 7728 3723, the trench runs north-south and measures some 186 metres in length and is up to 3 metres wide. At the northern end of the trench, a short section runs east-west for 30 metres before petering out. The trench is believed to have been cut during the mid 19th Century in an attempt to find the extent of the lodes of Blue Gate Iron mine, as described by Burton in The Heritage of Exmoor. A slight bank alongside the trench appears to be the remains of a spoil heap, and a second trench is visible 100 metres to the east. [2-4] The trench is clearly visible in the RAF vertical photographs of c.1946. It is c.180 metres long and runs straight north-south. To the north of the trench is an area of disturbed ground, probably caused by iron prospecting.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6912 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Earlier Iron-Working on Exmoor: Preliminary Survey. 30, Table 1.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 171-72 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 143.
- <4>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #40646 ]
- <5> SSO1921 Unassigned: Settrington, A. 1994. Site visit report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487401, Extant 23 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7725 3727 (144m by 303m) with additional data from SSO1921|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487401 (Original Monarch entry: 1487401)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2925
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10330
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE128
- National Park: Exmoor National park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487401
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 18564
Record last edited
Nov 23 2021 1:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.