MEM15407 - North Adit, Blacklands Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The north adit of Blacklands Mine, on the western side of Pennycombe water at circa SS 8411 3686. The adit is very well preserved and still has water issuing from it. A tramway is in situ emerging from it and the opening is still accessible. The remains of one ore wagon is visible within.  The adit is depicted and annotated on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition County Series map and on the 2nd Edition map. [2,3] The adit is still shown on modern MasterMap data.  The adit connecs to a mine shaft approximately 250 metres to the westnorthwest (MEM15406). 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, March 1996.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 3.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8410 3685 (11m by 12m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974457 (Pastscape entry: 974457)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974457
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34293
Record last edited
Apr 5 2017 11:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.