MEM15404 - Silcombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Culbone Tithe Map as a loose group of six buildings, with a farmhouse at SS 8339 4821. Most of these buildings, including the farmhouse, had been demolished by the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map; the new layout of the farm included a squarer farmhouse situated at SS 8337 4822 and a group of farm buildings arranged around a yard centred at SS 8338 4817. A further outbuilding was situated to the south of the main group at SS 8339 4814. These buildings still all appear to be mostly extant, though have been subject to some alterations in the interim. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1997, with the site thought to be ancient. The house was said to date to 1866 and was described as very plain with slate hanging. It is set on a hillside with the farmyard in the bottom, with a fine big 19th Century long barn at the back and three lower sides to the yard. The northwest range is thought to be the earliest and perhaps of an 18th Century date, with the rest thought to date to the same period as the farmhouse. The group was said to be excellently designed and form a complete series in model format. A 20th Century Dutch barn was also set above the site.  Silcombe Farm is a compact and well-preserved farmstead that demonstrates the improving influence of the Lovelace Estate and has buildings dating from the mid-1860s forming a planned layout that replaced an earlier farmstead on the site. The site consists of a farmhouse, bank barn, shippon stable and cart shed, and a shelter shed. A second barn was added in the 20th Century. 
- <1> SEM8065 Map: 1838. Culbone Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 142.
- <6> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1309408.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 83418 48194 (133m by 107m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 142
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW58
- NBR Index Number: 98671
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1309408
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.