MEM15403 - Pitt Farm, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Porlock Tithe Map shows the site labelled "Piff Farm". At this time, it comprised a group of three buildings arranged loosely around a yard, including the farmhouse at c. SS 8467 4696 and two other structures at SS 8465 4697 and SS 8467 4697, all orientated northnorthwest to southsoutheast. Two buildings are set at a little distance to the southeast, at c. SS 8472 4694 and SS 8476 4694.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been published, the farm was labelled "Pitt" and the two outbuildings to the southeast had been demolished. The farmyard buildings had also been subject to much alteration (with some demolition), to form a C shaped group enclosing the yard on its northern, western and southern sides. It does seem, however, that much of the fabric from the original buildings, particularly the farmhouse and the building to its north, had been retained and reused. The buildings now present on the site appear to retain this layout. [2-4] The farmstead was surveyed in January 1997. The farmhouse was said to be anciently position but 19th Century in appearance and since altered. Six 19th Century cast iron windows were noted on the front elevation. It was said to be nicely grouped with a 19th Century farm range parallel and opposite to it, converted to other uses. 
- <1> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 141.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 84710 46958 (143m by 68m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/3): 141
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 12:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.