MEM15373 - Poorsland Adit at Ison Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
The main workings at Ison Mine were at Poorsland Adit and Hoe Combe. Poorsland Adit was so named after ‘Wootton Courtenay, Winsford & Cutcombe Poor’s Charity’ which owned land at Eisen Hill. The results were disappointing and by 1860 abandonment was considered. Extension of the Poorsland Adit after 1861 lead to a temporary increase in production.  An exceptionally well preserved adit. It comprises a stone arched opening 1.5 metres high and 1.6 metres wide. Water still issues from the opening which runs back westwards into the hillside for 5 metres. To the immediate south of the adit is a platform measuring 6 metres by 3.5 metres, and cut by 1.5 metres into the hillside. It may have supported a building at the adit mouth. To the east of the adit (circa 20 metres) is the River Quarme. This was presumably bridged at SS 91522 37031, where traces of stone revetments, 7 metres long and 1.2 metres high, survive. On the eastern bank of the river a raised embankment or causeway 2.4 m high presumably allowed ore to be moved to the nearby road (now the A396).  The arched entrance is blocked and there is a roof fall to the west.  The adit was explored by Shepton Mallet Caving Club in 1973. 
- <1> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. P.28, 38.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 January 1998.
- <3> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.18.
- <4> SEM7221 Article in serial: Hayman, T.. 1973. Eisen Hill Mine. Shepton Mallet Caving Club Journal. 5. 6. P.13-15.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9153 3703 (99m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12608
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35819
Record last edited
Mar 25 2019 11:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.