MEM15206 - Parsonage Farm, Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Hawkridge. At this time, it comprised an L shaped farmhouse with four associated buildings, one adjacent to the eastern corner of the farmhouse and forming an angle with its southeastern elevation at SS 8569 3201, a larger building at SS 8571 3203 and two smaller outbuildings at SS 8566 3199 and SS 8571 3199.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the northern range of the farmhouse had been demolished, as apparently had the buildings sited at SS 8571 3203 and SS 8571 3199. The remaining buildings had been subject to alterations and two new structures were depicted at SS 8572 3201 and SS 8571 3202. The site is shown in a similar layout on the 2nd Edition map and has since been extended with additional larger scale agricultural buildings around its periphery. [2-4] The site was viewed from a distance in January 1997 and was said to be scattered. The farmhouse was described as small and 19th Century in character, with a rubble building at a right angle to it. A larger 19th Century rubble barn was noted to be separate from the house with some other smaller buildings. Several 20th Century buildings had been noted to be added around the site. 
- <1> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 162.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8569 3201 (97m by 60m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 162
Record last edited
Apr 11 2021 11:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.