MEM15196 - East range of the main yard at Ashway Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Part of the 19th century farm buildings that enclose a foldyard. The entrance to the yard is in the north-east corner. The buildings are made of random rubble local stone, with slate roofs. The buildings are relatively unaltered.  The entrance gateway to the main farm yard is at the north end of the east range. The east range is a stable block, which is built down the hillslope and is relatively tall. It contains two stables, the northern one much smaller than the southern one, both under a continuous hayloft. Both stables retain their cobbled floors which include an axial drain from the northern one into the southern one, and out the south end wall. However the southern end of the drain has been rebuilt in concrete. The small northern stable was apparently for two horses. The southern stable has been converted for cattle and, although there are timber divisions and a feeding rack, the fittings are thought to date from the 20th century. The ground floor window at the south end is the only window on the whole farm to have escaped 20th century refurbishment. The loft level is in the same style as the linhay tallet.  The range was visited in February 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Dulverton (4 August 1986).
- <2> SEM6701 Report: Thorp, J.R.L.. 2007. Four Exmoor Farms. 4, 8-9.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 86845 31237 (9m by 18m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/2/50
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10826
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31380
Record last edited
Jan 8 2015 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.