MEM15186 - Prehistoric flint from track off Scobhill Road on Farley Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A scatter of hundreds of pieces of flint material was found at a spring head, along the track, off a car park on Scobhill Road. The collection includes microliths, bladelets and microcores. It also includes some worked chert. The flints were eroding out of the banks along the side of the path, along with small flecks of charcoal.  In February 2014, a section was excavated at the site and a sample taken for radiocarbon dating which returned a date of 2076 to 1823 BC. [4, 5]
- <1> SEM6699 Verbal communication: Ahearn, B and Ahearn, C.. 2008. Flint Collections on Brendon Common.
- <2> SEM7548 Article in serial: Wilson-North, R.. 2011. From Barrows to Burnt Mounds. Exmoor Review. 52. 85-89. P.85.
- <3> SEM6761 Article in serial: Wilson-North, R.. 2009. Hunter Gatherers on Exmoor - Lessons From the Past. Exmoor Visitor.
- <4> SEM8438 Report: Dunbar, E.. 2014. Radiocarbon dating certificate: Wintershead (EWH13) and Farley Hill (BHF14).
- <5> SEM8437 Unpublished document: Bray, L.S.. 2014. Section taken at Farley Hill, Brendon.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 75152 46186 (290m by 93m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 3:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.