MEM15185 - Prehistoric flint northwest of Lankcombe Ford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A scatter of hundreds of pieces of flint material was found along the track, northwest of Lankcombe Ford. The collection included microliths, bladelets, microcores and an arrowhead. It also included some worked chert and large quartz crystals. The flints were eroding out of the banks along the side of the path, along with small flecks of charcoal.  Geophysics and fieldwalking were undertaken along two paths at the site in 2009. Several pieces of flint, including a meche de foret, were recovered. [5-6]
- <1> SEM6699 Verbal communication: Ahearn, B and Ahearn, C.. 2008. Flint Collections on Brendon Common.
- <2> SEM6761 Article in serial: Wilson-North, R.. 2009. Hunter Gatherers on Exmoor - Lessons From the Past. Exmoor Visitor.
- <3> SEM7548 Article in serial: Wilson-North, R.. 2011. From Barrows to Burnt Mounds. Exmoor Review. 52. 85-89. 85.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, Somerset County Council, 6 December 1987.
- <5> SEM7356 Report: Gregory, D.. 2009. Communal Affairs? Late Mesolithic Hunting in an Upland Landscape.
- <6> SEM7274 Survey: Gregory, D.. 2009. Lankcombe Geophysics and Interpretation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 76911 45719 (450m by 226m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
- ARROWHEAD (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- BLADE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- CORE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 3:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.