MDE9895 - Natural outcrop of stone on Cheriton Ridge (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7514 4311. On Cheriton Ridge several sandstone stones were found leading downhill towards the stream (Hoaroak Water). A possible stone row? or outcropping?.  In 1990 a possible stone row, represented by several stones leading downhill towards Hoaroak Water was reported to the Royal Commision on the Historical Monuments of England. Investigation in 1992 located an irregular line of a half dozen stones, spaced at intervals of between 2.0 and 20 metres, extending for about 70 metres. Stones, some isolated and others forming small patches, occur in the vicinity; all appear to be natural occurrences exposed by surface erosion.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Walker, 17 Gloster Road, Barnstaple, 31 April 1990. [Mapped feature: #46730 ]
- <2> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 January 1992.
- <3> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. P. 15-16.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890365, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7514 4311 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890365 (Pastscape entry: 890365)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50130
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/53
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE103
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890365
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 9:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.