MDE9013 - Possible prehistoric linear clearance banks on Holdstone Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two lengths of slightly diverging stony bank centred at SS 6170 4780 on the northwest side of Holdstone Down. At SS 6164 4783 is a 20 metres length of stony bank running northwest to southeast, and with a small clearance cairn against it at its southern end. The bank, 1.2 metres wide and 0.3 metres high, has a high stone content. At SS 6175 4776 is a 76 metres length of very slight stony bank, in an area of clitter, running northnorthwest to southsoutheast. It is 1.3 metres wide and 0.2 metres high. Both features are reminiscent of prehistoric linear clearance. Their near parallelism is reminiscent of other prehistoric field systems on Exmoor, for example at Codsend (MSO9193). These features were visible under ideal conditions, having been burnt off only several weeks previously. Surveyed at 1:2500. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <2> SMO5831 Collection: RCHME Exeter. 1993-1999. Exmoor Project.
- <3> SMO4803 Technical drawing: Sainsbury, I. and Wilson-North, R.. 1993. Holdstone Down/ink survey . Unknown. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 873117, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6169 4780 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=873117 (Original Monarch entry: 873117)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60616
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/102
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21682
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW44
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 873117
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 5:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.