MDE9000 - Prehistoric or later clearance cairns on Trentishoe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A scattered group of small cairns on the south and west side of Trentishoe Down, occupying an area of approximately 13 hectares, was noted on a site visit in 1985.  Centred at SS 6295 4764 on the southern slopes of Trentishoe Down is a system of small clearance cairns. The system lies on open moorland which has recently been burnt off. The ground surface has an apparently shallow depth of peat and is covered with small surface clitter. Some 37 cairns were recorded in the field. They average 1.5 metres in diameter and stand to 0.4 metres in height. They are composed of stones usually up to 0.3 metres in length (slightly larger than the stones littered over the present ground surface). The system is apparently prehistoric, although no settlement features could be found amongst the cairns or in immediate association with them. Assuming that it is prehistoric, then its proximity and relationship to the barrow group on Trentishoe Down (MDE1037) is of considerable interest. The nearest confirmed prehistoric settlement lies more than 300 metres to the north on the northern slopes of the Down (see MDE1040 and MDE8961), and also further northwest (MDE8574). The possibility that the clearance is associated with later attempts at land improvement cannot be ruled out (see MDE9001). Surveyed at 1:2500. [2-4] The site was visited in 1994, when its condition was noted to be stable. 
- <1> SEM6970 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1986. Archaeological survey on Exmoor 1985/86: Trentishoe Down; a summary report. Site 270, visited 20 November 1985.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SMO4808 Survey: Trentishoe, SS 64 NW 4, 7, 15, 31, 32, 33, 37/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SEM7614 Report: National Trust. 1994. Archaeological Site Monitoring Report. Goodwin, visited 30 May 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6283 4759 (430m by 330m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872776 (Original Monarch entry: 872776)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NW/57
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 28170
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW31
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872776
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 11:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.