MDE8996 - Natural outcrops on Trentishoe Down (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An irregular shaped cairn, measuring 7.0 metres by 5.0 metres and 0.4 metres high was noted on a site visit approximately 670 metres southeast of the summit of Trentishoe Down.  In the vicinity of the National Grid Reference cited (SS 6345 4729) are several heather and turf covered outcrops; they appear to be natural. No evidence for field clearance could be noted.  Monument MMO1781 records a prehistoric enclosure in this location. It is not clear whether this is a misidentification of the above-mentioned outcrops. 
- <1> SEM6970 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1986. Archaeological survey on Exmoor 1985/86: Trentishoe Down; a summary report. Site 265, visited 15 November 1985.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 July 1993.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove, 29 August 2013.
|Grid reference||SS 6344 4728 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872627 (Original Monarch entry: 872627)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NW/56
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 28169
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21011
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW27
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872627
Record last edited
Apr 23 2019 3:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.