MDE8286 - 19th Century mining remains above The Rawns (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 5935 4811. Cliff symbol and slopes shown (but not annotated) on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map . Annotated "Old Quarry" on 1904 Edition . A linear trial or costean trench . The north facing slope has been cut into on the uphill south side exposing an east to west oriented rock faced gulley, or trench, 100 metres long, 10 metres wide and about 2.5 metres deep. The west end of the trench is cut obliquely by an enclosure wall and the workings appear to have continued to the west of this wall where there is also an adjacent spoil heap on the north side of the trench. The whole is now covered with gorse and scrub making access and measurement difficult. This feature is similar to the trench some 450m to the west at SS 5893 4805 (MDE8287) and they are associated with the mid 19th Century Girt Down Mine sett for Iron/Manganese .  A linear extractive pit, known locally as an openwork is visible on aerial photographs above The Rawns, Combe Martin. It is centred at SS 5933 4811, and is similar in size and form to the openworks located to the west, at Little Hangman Cliff, which are thought to be associated with iron or manganese working at the Girt Down Mine Sett. It may be the result of several smaller trial pits gradually being linked to form a single pit, but due to its position on the edge of the cliff, it is not possible to discern an exact plan from aerial photographs. The area is at risk from coastal erosion and further study is required to assess the preservation of these and other mine workings in the area. [5,6]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 1(16).
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 1(16).
- <3> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1993.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/89114 653 (4 May 1989).
- <6> SMO7548 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 54 NE. MD002165.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5934 4811 (94m by 39m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616408 (Pastscape entry: 616408)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148424 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148424)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31044
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/40
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21030
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO269
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE42
- National Park: Exmoor National Park Authority
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148424
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616408
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.