MDE8281 - 19th Century mine workings above The Rawns (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
SS 5926 4814. Mine workings surveyed (but not annotated) by the Ordnance Survey  in 1887 and which, according to Claughton , are associated with the 19th Century Girt Down Mine sett. A small openwork is visible on the steep coastal slopes to the south west above The Rawns. An adit lies to the east side of an overgrown track and consists of a rock cut gulley 26 metres east to west by 7 metres. There is a spoil heap to the immediate north west some 20 metres in diameter and a smaller one 40 metres to the west about 10 metres in diameter. Both are obscured by heather and gorse.  Mine workings are visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks above The Rawns, Combe Martin. The largest of these earthworks is a small extractive pit, known locally as an openwork, centred at SS 5926 4814. It measures approximately 20 metres long, and may be the result of several smaller prospective pits gradually being progressively linked to form one long trench. 100 metres to the east a small sub circular adit is visible, measuring approximately 8 metres across. The spoil heaps and smaller adit mentioned above are not visible on aerial photographs. To the west are a number of mounds and hollows interpreted as a disused rifle range (MDE8283); it is possible that some of these mounds may be spoil heaps associated with these mine workings. [4,5]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 1(16).
- <2> SDE65370 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.. 22/04/1993. Letter and Maps to Royal Comission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 April 1993.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/89114 653 (4 May 1989).
- <5> SMO7548 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 54 NE. MD002165.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5931 4816 (137m by 45m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=616379 (Pastscape entry: 616379)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148426 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148426)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50082
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 50083
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/133
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21478
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO267
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE37
- National Park: Exmoor National Park Authority
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148426
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 616379
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.