MDE21875 - Church Path, Countisbury (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7540 4903 (centre). Bridleway known as 'Church Path' linking Countisbury with Rockford to the southeast observed during the survey by the National Trust in 2004. The path follows the west, southwest and south side of Holden Head down into Church Combe then south to Wilsham and Rockford. The path is generally 2 to 3 metres wide. It was not shown on the 1839 Countisbury Tithe Map  but is shown on all later maps.  'Church Path' shown on 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps running south from the road at SS 7518 4557 to cross the 'Church Lake' stream at SS 7563 4890 before turning southwest towards 'Wilsham'. [3,4]
- <1> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SDE322990 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. NT SMR No 101015, site 043.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1906.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7540 4917 (458m by 804m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71675
- Report Site Reference (SEM6856): 043
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 4:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.