MDE21851 - Post-medieval bridge north of Kipscombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 7597 4967. Remains of a small post-medieval bridge at the head of the combe to the north of Kipscombe Farm observed during the survey by the National Trust in 2004. The stone bridge was around 6 metres long by up to 2 metres wide and had partially collapsed on the northern side. A pond to the south of the bridge is shown on the 1839 Countisbury Tithe Map  and on the 1888 Ordnance Survey map . The bridge may have doubled as a small dam with culvert as a form of water control. 
- <1> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6856 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury, Devon. NT SMR No 100973, site 001.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7597 4967 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA149616 (National Trust HER entry: MNA149616)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71647
- National Trust HER Record: MNA149616
- Report Site Reference (SEM6856): 001
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.