MDE21738 - Stony Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Road recorded as 'Barton Road, no.26' on 1862 Parracombe Down Enclosure Award and Map. Described as a 'public carriage road' to be set out from SS 6817 4499 to SS 6842 4511. Original width marked out as 20 feet. Visible as road recorded as 'Stoney Lane' on 6 inch 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [1-3] A road is marked between SS 6796 4488 and SS6817 4499, leading on to and ending at Parracombe Common.  The road is shown continuing eastwards to SS 6842 4511 on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The entire length is labelled "Stony Lane". It links to another road heading northwest to southeast at this point (MDE21736).  The road is extant on the 2018 MasterMap data and labelled "Stony Lane". 
- <1> SEM8546 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1862. Parracombe Common Enclosure Award.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963. SS64NE. SS64SE.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #44424 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6818 4497 (463m by 270m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62121
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62211
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/138
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/210
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21749
Record last edited
May 22 2019 9:10AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.