MDE21736 - 19th Century road linking Stony Lane and Two Gates across Parracombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Road recorded as 'challacombe road, no.27' on 1862 Parracombe Down enclosure award and map. Described as a 'public carriage road' to be set out from SS 6843 4512 southwards to junction called 'Two Gates' at the parish boundary, at SS 6901 4345. Original width marked out as 20 feet. Visible as a road on the 6 inch 1963 Ordnance Survey map. [1-3] The routeway was not shown on the Tithe Map for Parracombe but was in place by the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. [4-5] The road is still shown on the 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7970 Unpublished document: 1862. Parracombe Down Enclosure Award.
- <2> SEM8553 Unpublished document: Wilmshurst, F.A.. 2000. Enclosure Awards file and accompanying map overlays.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963. SS64NE, SS64SE.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #44428 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6881 4426 (815m by 1673m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62119
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 62210
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/136
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/208
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21748
Record last edited
May 21 2019 4:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.