MDE21684 - Post-medieval limekiln at Southground Quarries (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Old lime kiln shown on six inch Ordnance Survey map dating from 1891.  The 1975 Ordnance Survey 1:2500 depicts a quarry face, spoil mound and tracks centred at SS 6925 4121, and uses the descriptor "lime kiln (disused)".  The features on the 1975 Ordnance Survey map are generally as shown. However, to the northeast at SS 69278 41227, in an area disturbed by quarrying, are the very ruinous remains of a lime kiln, which is not shown on the Ordnance Survey map. It consists of a roughly semicircular (in plan), earth covered, stone chamber set into the hill slope. It is some 2.7 metres deep and 2.3 metres in width. The front opening is 0.96 metres high. The structure is in an advanced state of collapse and is too unstable to allow safe access, but a flue is visible in its rear wall. Rubble and collapsed debris is visible inside and has partially blocked the opening to the chamber. The Ordnance Survey descriptor on the 1975 map is applied some 30 metres to the southwest of this feature and it is not clear whether it refers to a second kiln, which is no longer visible, or whether the descriptor has been inaccurately applied.  The location of the lime kiln is correctly depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The 2nd Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map only shows a label for the kiln but does not depict its location.  The 2018 MasterMap data also labels the kiln as "Limekiln (disused)" and applies the label to the southwest, near the quarry earthworks. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <2> SSO1442 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 Map, 1975. 1:10,000.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, SS 64 SE 43, 1 October 1993.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||SS 6927 4122 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60618
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/202
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 5:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.