MDE10870 - Southground Quarries (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 6930 4125. Southground Quarries is depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with an old limekiln marked at SS 6927 4122 (see MDE21684). A pond feature is shown in the centre of the quarry.  The 1975 edition of the 25 inch Ordnance Survey mapping depicts a quarry face, spoil mound and tracks centred at SS 6925 4121, and uses the descriptor "Lime Kiln (disused)".  The feature on the 1975 edition Ordnance Survey map are generally as shown.  Southground Quarries. There are numerous other small quarries in this area. Worked as a source of lime for agricultural use. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM8571 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:2,500 Map, 1975. 1:2,500. Sheet 6941.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 October 1993.
- <4> SEM8799 Article in serial: Worth, R.N.. 1875. The economic geology of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 7. 209-233. 213.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6928 4125 (132m by 162m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909942 (Pastscape entry: 909942)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 16194
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/73
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE21684
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20424
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE43
- National Park: SS 69284123
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909942
Record last edited
Jan 25 2021 9:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.